About Me

My photo
Monroe, Ohio, United States
Began my photography career as most people do...the highschool yearbook. Upon graduation I attended the US Naval Photography School in Pensacola Fla. After getting a qualification in basic photography and then later attending their Portrait School,was assigned to a military operation. Experiences included USO photography for Bob Hope, Brooke Shields, Kathy Lee Crosby and Wayne Newton.Have also had the opportunity for travel assignments to places such as Beruit, Israel, Africa, Australia, Brazil, Italy, Spain and England. Upon exiting the Navy in 1984,opened up a Tanning Salon and Health Club in Oxford,Ohio and began photographing weddings, all as a vehicle to fund my way through college. I enjoy travel, sports photography, special event and Cincinnati Reds photography. I am frequently contracted as a sports photographer by parents, sports teams, and organizations,throughout the Cincinnati and Dayton, Ohio areas, to provide the highest quality sports photography, both on an individual and team basis.

April 27, 2009

Pro vs Schmoe




Ok, here is a great topic that I've always wanted to comment on, but had to have just the right comparison to do so. (By the way, I don't consider the guy who shot the small picture a Schmoe, but it rhymed with Pro)

I always hear, not that I really care, that question; "Why should I pay someone for pictures, when I have a digital camera myself?" Well, it really comes down to personal preference, but the top picture is a shot that Mom doesn't capture from the stands with her D40 or Rebel, with a kit lens. And especially with her "point & shoot".

Look, I never feel guilty about charging $8-10 for a glossy 8x10 when I consider that at any time, I have at least $4K worth of equipment on my monopod and I am working the angles and the set up of shots, spending my day at a hot ball field.

Kids grow up in a blink of an eye and quite often, they also lose interest in the sports of their youth. Sports Illustrated quality shots of that little superstar last forever. I would currently give $100, for shots like this of me, when I was 8,9 10, etc...

There are those parents who just really don't care about this and that is ok. But then there are parents that pay me $200-250 per game to focus on just their kids, and don't blink an eye at the price. They understand that you get what you pay for.

It's a great emotional reward to be invited over to a home to see what they have done with your work.

These are two seperate shots of the Eaton Little League, Marlins. The top one was one I shot in 2008 and the bottom one was shot by a local this past weekend.
Posted by Cincinnati and Dayton Sports Photographer Vincent Rush of Monroe, Ohio. For more information (877) 858-6295

No comments:

Post a Comment