About Me

My photo
Monroe, Ohio, United States
Began my photography career as most people do...the highschool yearbook. Upon graduation I attended the US Naval Photography School in Pensacola Fla. After getting a qualification in basic photography and then later attending their Portrait School,was assigned to a military operation. Experiences included USO photography for Bob Hope, Brooke Shields, Kathy Lee Crosby and Wayne Newton.Have also had the opportunity for travel assignments to places such as Beruit, Israel, Africa, Australia, Brazil, Italy, Spain and England. Upon exiting the Navy in 1984,opened up a Tanning Salon and Health Club in Oxford,Ohio and began photographing weddings, all as a vehicle to fund my way through college. I enjoy travel, sports photography, special event and Cincinnati Reds photography. I am frequently contracted as a sports photographer by parents, sports teams, and organizations,throughout the Cincinnati and Dayton, Ohio areas, to provide the highest quality sports photography, both on an individual and team basis.

February 1, 2010

Photoshop and Sports Photography









My Photoshop CS3 skills are beginner level at best but I do like the things that it allows me to do. Right now I am good at removing pimples, whitening teeth and sharpening eyes. So I am the last photographer to attempt to give a tutorial on the magic of Photoshop.

On Friday I received a Facebook request from Cincinnati Reds Outfielder Chris Dickerson. I've sent Chris some sports photographs in the past and did some selective color on a couple of his action shots from a Cincinnati Reds vs. Pittsburgh Pirates game. Chris happens to be one of my 11 year old sons favorite players, due to the fact he's a lefty and he has hit a homerun each time Zach has went to see the Reds. Chris appears to be one of the genuine good guys in Major League Baseball as well, taking time to greet fans with a smile and sign autographs.

Sports photography has always been a passion of mine and I enjoy covering the Reds. I hope to have the opportunity to work as a contract or full time sports photographer for the Cincinnati Reds one day. If anyone ever wants to put in a good word with Ralph Mitchell for me, I'll send you some eggs from Farmville. (I don't play Farmville, Yoville, Mafiaville, Hoville or any of those games, just to set the record straight)

Chris had been on vacation in Cabo, (Dude goes everywhere) I believe and took a picture of a skate boarder and wanted me to use selective color on the underside of the skate board. I first converted the whole picture to black and white, then re-added the color to the board. Too many beginning sports photographers spend so much time admiring their action shot that they forget the details that can turn a good sports picture into a great one.

After doing that simple task, I started messing with the image and taking out all the distractions and tweaking contract and brightness.

The results are the 3 images that follow.

Photoshop can take a very average sports photograph, in this case a cool captures of a skate boarder and enhance it into a very nice action shot that puts all the focus and attention on the athlete. I'll check back in when I find out which one Chris liked the best.











Posted by Cincinnati and Dayton Sports Photographer Vincent Rush of Monroe, Ohio. For more information (877) 858-6295

No comments:

Post a Comment