About Me

My photo
Monroe, Ohio, United States
Began my photography career as most people do...the highschool yearbook. Upon graduation I attended the US Naval Photography School in Pensacola Fla. After getting a qualification in basic photography and then later attending their Portrait School,was assigned to a military operation. Experiences included USO photography for Bob Hope, Brooke Shields, Kathy Lee Crosby and Wayne Newton.Have also had the opportunity for travel assignments to places such as Beruit, Israel, Africa, Australia, Brazil, Italy, Spain and England. Upon exiting the Navy in 1984,opened up a Tanning Salon and Health Club in Oxford,Ohio and began photographing weddings, all as a vehicle to fund my way through college. I enjoy travel, sports photography, special event and Cincinnati Reds photography. I am frequently contracted as a sports photographer by parents, sports teams, and organizations,throughout the Cincinnati and Dayton, Ohio areas, to provide the highest quality sports photography, both on an individual and team basis.

November 9, 2009

Thrill of Victory & Agony of Defeat




I was getting ready to cover the South Western Buckeye League Pee Wee Super Bowl that matched the 4th Grade Monroe Hornets against the Clinton Massie Patriots.

I was observing the final minutes of a game that featured the Carlisle Indians against the Brookville Blue Devils. The game had belonged to Brookville up until the last few minutes when Carlisle came roaring back with a couple of quick scores in the final minutes.

I ran to the end zone and hoped for a miracle of a shot. Sort of a photographers "Hail Mary".


Needless to say, a picture being worth 1000 words, I got one. Not the greatest quality shot and one that a point and shoot could have probably taken, but for story telling qualities, a winner none the less.

Too often when debating the value of a professional sports photographer versus "Mom or Guy with Camera", I am constantly talking about angles and anticipation of game flow. There were 3 photographers or camera operators covering this game, and while I'm sure they got some terrific captures, they were ALL horribly out of position on the most important play of the season and possibly this young athletes life.

When you want the moments that matter the most, to be captured for a lifetime of memories, don't take a chance. I would have covered a game like this for $200. I would have given a CD of edited and cropped pictures that could have been given to each parent. More importantly, this kid and coach would have this picture framed and matted on the wall for Christmas.

Which obviously if I can track down the contact info for the Carlisle, Ohio Indians Pee Wee Football Program, I can still make that happen.

But why leave it to chance? Hey, if it we're all the same, the Cincinnati Reds and the NFL would hand out cameras to fans that wanted to be on the sidelines before games and just collect the equipment at the end.

Posted by Cincinnati and Dayton Sports Photographer Vincent Rush of Monroe, Ohio. For more information (877) 858-6295

No comments:

Post a Comment