About Me

My photo
Monroe, Ohio, United States
Began my photography career as most people do...the highschool yearbook. Upon graduation I attended the US Naval Photography School in Pensacola Fla. After getting a qualification in basic photography and then later attending their Portrait School,was assigned to a military operation. Experiences included USO photography for Bob Hope, Brooke Shields, Kathy Lee Crosby and Wayne Newton.Have also had the opportunity for travel assignments to places such as Beruit, Israel, Africa, Australia, Brazil, Italy, Spain and England. Upon exiting the Navy in 1984,opened up a Tanning Salon and Health Club in Oxford,Ohio and began photographing weddings, all as a vehicle to fund my way through college. I enjoy travel, sports photography, special event and Cincinnati Reds photography. I am frequently contracted as a sports photographer by parents, sports teams, and organizations,throughout the Cincinnati and Dayton, Ohio areas, to provide the highest quality sports photography, both on an individual and team basis.

September 21, 2009

Observe the Masses



I was recently shooting Sports Photography at Monroe High School one Friday night and judging by the number of photographers there, you would have thought it was the Super Bowl.

One thing I pride myself on is getting the pictures and photos that no one else gets. It builds my photographer self esteem anytime I see a sports photographer hanging around and picking the low hanging fruit.

On this particular Friday night I saw the “picture takers” standing in there usual spot, talking “shop” and I began to look to separate myself from the masses so to speak and look for the pictures that none of them would ever think of.

I noticed first that the cheerleaders had a bunch of new flags that spelled MONROE. I went up to the Cheerleading coach and got the girls to stage a run toward the camera that made for an eye catching photograph.

I then offered to shoot each of the cheerleader’s portraits with a helmet that I had secured from an injured player and a football and pom poms.

Using a Nikon SB 800 speed light and a Gary Fong Light sphere, I quickly snapped a series of cute portraits that did two things….

1) Made for some really nice Cheerleading photos that Lifetouch Studios never thinks of, because they don’t actually have photographers that work for them. They have camera operators!
2) More importantly, after editing and posting the pictures on Monroe’s community website, I probably just picked up quite a few senior portrait jobs and further established my brand in my own town of Monroe.

I then took the helmet and went and staged some cool field shots with the band that once again, in my own mind, if no where else (and that’s what really matters anyway) got the shots that no one else ever thinks of.

If you’re going to be a sports photographer and a profitable one, you have to cover not just the game, but the kids the other guys are either too lazy or not creative enough to shoot.


Posted by Cincinnati and Dayton Sports Photographer Vincent Rush of Monroe, Ohio. For more information (877) 858-6295

No comments:

Post a Comment