About Me

My photo
Monroe, Ohio, United States
Began my photography career as most people do...the highschool yearbook. Upon graduation I attended the US Naval Photography School in Pensacola Fla. After getting a qualification in basic photography and then later attending their Portrait School,was assigned to a military operation. Experiences included USO photography for Bob Hope, Brooke Shields, Kathy Lee Crosby and Wayne Newton.Have also had the opportunity for travel assignments to places such as Beruit, Israel, Africa, Australia, Brazil, Italy, Spain and England. Upon exiting the Navy in 1984,opened up a Tanning Salon and Health Club in Oxford,Ohio and began photographing weddings, all as a vehicle to fund my way through college. I enjoy travel, sports photography, special event and Cincinnati Reds photography. I am frequently contracted as a sports photographer by parents, sports teams, and organizations,throughout the Cincinnati and Dayton, Ohio areas, to provide the highest quality sports photography, both on an individual and team basis.

April 9, 2009

Batters Eye




Shooting sports photography can be simple and mundane if you're just going through the motions. I've always said that anyone can take pictures but few can take photographs. While covering a Varsity baseball game between the Monroe Hornets and the Carlisle Indians, I kept noticing that the pitcher for Monroe had this Bob Gibson like fall off from the mound. I envisioned this as having the potential for a great head on shot, much like some of those famous Gibson shots.

I moto'ed through about 10 pitches before I finally got a keeper. Now the trick to a photo like this is a quality lens, like the Nikkor 80-200 f2.8. I was on the other side of the fence and had the lens hood pressed against the chain link fence. My focus is on the pitchers eyes. Everything else is irrelevant in the picture except for the ball it's self. If the pitcher is out of focus, the picture just simply does not work.
Posted by Cincinnati and Dayton Sports Photographer Vincent Rush of Monroe, Ohio. For more information (877) 858-6295

No comments:

Post a Comment